Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
RCOG is an international organization with 16,000 members worldwide. The MRCOG exam has global recognition, including MCI from India, and is the benchmark for career progression in ob-gyn. The demand for RCOG-qualified experts has increased and hospitals offer high salary packages. The exam consists of three parts testing students’ understanding of theoretical and clinical sciences and the application of clinical skills. TAU offers unique three-year structured training for students pursuing its fellowship programs to clear RCOG exams. It builds confidence in students to take up the exams with supervised training and assessment, access to high-quality online resources, associate membership, practical training and weekly lectures, mock exams and continuous academic support. Become an OB-GYN specialist with TAU.
The Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (RCOG) is an international organization of over 16,000 members and fellows worldwide. Annually thousands of physicians take up the exams, better known as the MRCOG exam, to qualify for a membership with the organization. Do you aspire to appear for the exam and wondering how to prepare for MRCOG exams? Keep reading…
With nearly 6000 gynecologists and obstetricians working in India, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Malaysia, and more than 100 countries, they form an excellent network of professionals building and contributing to the specialty. The membership also provides numerous benefits and privileges such as access to publications, tutorials, lectures, college facilities, discounted services, and more to its members, which can be very useful for practicing professionals.
The Popularity of the MRCOG Exam in India
MRCOG exam is a popular way to add to or qualify as obstetrics and gynecology (or OB-GYN) specialists in India. Annually, hundreds and thousands of doctors try their hand to be eligible for the MRCOG exam. The MRCOG exam is universally respected as the gold measure qualification for career progression in obstetrics and gynecology. It is the very pinnacle of professional excellence adorned by many specialist doctors in the country.
As MRCOG is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI), doctors from India are interested in taking up to get specialized in OB-GYN. Recently, more and more private hospitals are looking for qualified candidates who have cleared the MRCOG exam and reward them with higher compensation for their expertise.
With so many benefits of attempting the MRCOG exam, it seems like a worthy endeavor. But how to prepare for MRCOG exams.
MRCOG Exam Pattern
Regarding the MRCOG exam preparation, you must first keep in mind that the MRCOG exam is split into three parts. These three parts test candidates’ understanding of basic and clinical sciences, assess the application of knowledge, and their ability to apply core clinical skills effectively, as defined in the Part 2 MRCOG curriculum.
The exam’s theoretical part is often the hardest for many, so allow at least six months of preparation time for the exams. More exposure to patients is necessary as the more patients you tend to, the better you understand to pick up on cues and understand patient behavior, which will come in handy in your Part 3 clinical.
- Part 1
The Part 1 exam evaluates basic and clinical sciences knowledge relevant to the subject. The Part 1 exam comprises two papers with a time duration of 2 hours 30 min each.
The exam covers the following topics:
- Statistics and Epidemiology
- Biochemistry and Cell Biology
- Physiology and Endocrinology
- Immunology, Hematology and Medical Physics
- Reproductive and Homoeostasis
Each will have 100 questions, and the question format is Single Best Answer (SBA). The Part 1 exam is conducted in a single day with a break of 1 hour between the two papers.
One can register for the exam through this site, and the exam costs £550, and registrations are open in March and September every year.
- Part 2
Part 2 of the exam also comprises two papers with a time limit of 3 hours for each question paper. Each paper consists of 100 questions (50 SBA and 50 multiple choice questions). This exam is conducted in a single day with a break of 1 hour between the two papers.
For the preparation, follow this link to know the updated syllabus for the exam. Part 2 MRCOG’s exam fee is approximately £550, and the exam is conducted in March and September every year.
- Part 3
The MRCOG Part 3 exam aims to evaluate the candidate’s ability to demonstrate core clinical skills, knowledge, competencies, and attitudes. This part of the exam comprises 14 stations and is held in a single day.
The MRCOG Part 3 evaluation is a core part of the assessment and validation process for entry to the UK Specialist register and progress to a consultant post in obstetrics and gynecology. UK specialty trainees must pass Part 2 and Part 3 MRCOG before moving from ST5 to ST6.
How to Prepare for MRCOG Exams
Once you have set your mind to clear the exam and have gone through the finer details of the MRCOG exam, here is what you need to do to prepare for the exam.
- Plan: Yes, this might sound basic, but it is the backbone for your preparation for the exam. Allot adequate time for each topic and go through it effectively. Please don’t underestimate the syllabus’s content. Go through it systematically for the full picture.
- Approach: There are various ways to prepare for the MRCOG exam. You can prepare for it yourself or enroll in a training program or even learn online using a Royal College-related service.
- Organize and Group Materials: Take your time to organize the study materials and group them in an order with which you can learn them effectively.
- Join in Groups and Discussions: Whether you use an online system or not, it is always best to partake in online groups and discussions to fully maximize your exposure to like-minded individuals with a common goal. This practice will allow you to learn new and exciting insights into OB-GYN and the whole community.
- Consider Pairing Up: You are much likely to stay on track when you have someone keep you accountable. Having a partner to help you learn can also help you revise more quickly and effectively.
- Revise Effectively: During the final preparation period, it is best to have short revisions followed by tests and repeat. Avoid getting into new topics and learning new concepts.
Training for MRCOG Exams
Taking up training for MRCOG exams would be the best way to prepare and clear them. The preparation for the MRCOG exams can be a complicated process. You can streamline this process by enrolling in a training program that is specially crafted for candidates appearing for the MRCOG exam to maximize their chances of success.
- MRCOG Clinical Premier Training at Texila American University
MRCOG clinical premier training by Texila American University (TAU) in partnership with the University of Central Nicaragua is a unique three-year structured training program explicitly designed to prepare candidates for the MRCOG exam.
This training helps the doctors build on their existing skills, knowledge, and experience and acquire mastery in the obstetrics and gynecology specialty’s clinical and various aspects. This training program has been structured to build confidence for the students to clear the theory and clinical exams of MRCOG.
- What Does This MRCOG Training Program Provide You?
- It is a hospital-based teaching system that helps you learn the curriculum’s practical and theoretical parts with a hands-on approach.
- A program also conditions you with appropriate exposure to various departments through rotations in departments as per the Royal College standard.
- You will get proper guidance from senior consultants and Royal College certified program consultants for the right clinical direction.
- It also gives you an excellent chance to acquire clinical skills and knowledge through clinical practice in hospitals and clinics.
- This training provides you with a proper review and feedback on your performance for the betterment.
MRCOG training is also a great way to enhance your clinical skills. You will interact with patients during your training and experts who will provide you with critical insights into patient behaviors and other clinical observations to look out for in your exams.
- Why Choose TAU?
- Structured 3-Year Training: TAU offers a structured three-year training following international standards and par with Royal College training. You can be sure that you are receiving the best practice to prepare you for the MRCOG exams by undergoing this training.
- Supervised Training and Assessment: The training offers supervised training and continuous workplace assessment that effectively trains the candidates to learn to maintain the highest level of professionalism and quality, even in the most demanding situations.
- Access to High-Quality Resources: The training offers students full access to question banks, e-journals, and other resources and materials via a state-of-the-art learning management portal for access anywhere.
- Associate Membership: The training also grants the students associate memberships to the Royal College to benefit their learning and development.
- Practical Training and Weekly Lectures: The training also provides candidates with practical training in hospitals and clinics so that doctors can put their theory into practice and form insights and learn better. Weekly lectures are also a part of the movement, which provides invaluable insights and deepens the candidate’s understanding of the specialty.
- Mock Examinations: Candidates can also be subjected to mock examinations to understand their standing accurately with the training.
- Constant Academic Support: Apart from the consultants, the training also assigns students mentors and academics heads to candidates who are frequently in touch to help candidates stay on track and achieve their goals on time.
- Specializing as an OB-GYN: By enrolling in the training and clearing the exam, you can become an OB-GYN specialist without the need for a PG degree.
On that note, we hope that you now understand how to prepare for MRCOG exams and the various steps you have to take to prepare and clear them. MRCOG training is another route that you can take to maximize your chances by authentically and effectively preparing for the exams. We hope that this clears your doubts about the study for MRCOG exams and inspires you to take up and clear the exam. Good luck!