Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
PLAB is a licensing exam conducted for FMGs who wish to practice in the UK. FMGs on clearing MRCP/MRCS can practice as a doctor in the UK without clearing PLAB. MRCP is a three-part PG qualification while PLAB is a two-part licensing exam. On clearing MRCP exams you can become a specialist in medicine, assistant professor, pursue super-specialization or become a specialist in internal medicine. TAU offers exclusive training for attempting MRCP exams to its fellowship with master of medicine/master of surgery students.
- The PLAB Exam: Everything You Need to Know
- MRCP vs. PLAB: The Core Differences
- Basic Requirements for PLAB
- Why Choose MRCP over PLAB?
- Royal College Training Program at Texila American University
The PLAB Exam: Everything You Need to Know
PLAB Full Form is “Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board“. The PLAB exam is a licensing examination conducted for foreign medical graduates who wish to practice medicine in the UK. PLAB is undertaken by the General Medical Council (UK) in several countries across the globe. International students can practice as a doctor in the UK without PLAB. One can practice as a doctor in the UK without PLAB by clearing the Royal College UK exams (MRCP/MRCS) as well.
As an Indian MBBS graduate, the PLAB exam is a more straightforward pathway to practice medicine in the UK. However, PLAB does not guarantee job prospects and is merely a qualification exam. Upon clearing the PLAB exam, graduates can apply for a medical license and also apply for job opportunities in both the private and government sector.
MRCP vs. PLAB: The Core Differences
MRCP Full Form is “Member of Royal College Physicians“. While you consider your pathway to practice medicine in the UK, you must be aware of the essential differences between the MRCP and PLAB exams.
- The MRCP exam is a three-part examination, while the PLAB exam is a two-part examination.
- The MRCP exam is a post-graduate qualification while the PLAB exam is a licensing/qualifying examination
- The MRCP exam is conducted by the Royal College of UK while the General Medical Council of UK conducts the PLAB exam
- The MRCP exam is consists of two written exams and one clinical exam, while the PLAB exam consists of one written exam and one clinical exam
- The MRCP exam is the easiest pathway to becoming a doctor in the UK without PLAB
Basic Requirements for PLAB
- A primary medical degree issued by an institute that is registered by the World Directory of Medical Schools
- A minimum score of 7 in the four required language skills and an overall minimum score of 7.5 in the IELTS exam
Why Choose MRCP over PLAB?
As an Indian MBBS student who wishes to practice in the UK, you can opt for the MRCP pathway as it a higher qualification and increases your job prospects within the United Kingdom. Graduates who clear all three parts of the MRCP exam, also become a member of the prestigious Royal College of UK. While the requirements for the PLAB exam are minimal compared to the MRCP exam, the value is also significantly lower.
MRCP Pathway Cost
- £594 for Part A outside the UK
- £594 for Part B outside the UK
- £1202 for PACES outside the UK
- £160-200 for IELTS or £332 for OET
MRCP Test Centres in India (Part 1)
- New Delhi
Guide to Prepare for the MRCP Exam
- Study using online tutorials, lectures, eBooks and other test materials
- Prepare yourself using past exam question papers and mock tests
- Enroll in preparatory courses conducted by various institutions
- Allocate equal time for the various subjects and specialties
- Prepare by answering a minimum of 50-100 questions per day
- Familiarize yourself with the exam question pattern
- Do not neglect the clinical component of the test as well
Career Opportunities After MRCP
Upon becoming a Member of the Royal College of Physicians, you will have a world of opportunities to choose from. Medical specialists are in demand throughout the UK and also in most of the other commonwealth countries. Here is a look at some of the opportunities available after you become a doctor in the UK without PLAB:
- Become a medicine specialist
- Become an assistant professor
- Pursue a super-specialization
- Become an internal medicine specialist
Royal College Training Program at Texila American University
You can also prepare for your MRCP exam by joining Texila American University’s renowned Fellowship with Master of Medicine/Master of Surgery. It is a three-year structured program that is conducted by certified professionals of the Royal College. The program includes OSCE (Objective Structured Clinical Examination) training as well. Texila’s RCP program is your best option to become a doctor in the UK without PLAB.
Why Choose Texila?
- International faculty and resources
- In-sync training with Royal College of UK medical examination
- Course materials will be delivered through our user-friendly LMS
- Structured training through clinical course work, tests and research
- The program is conducted in university-affiliated teaching hospitals
- Enables you to advance your career in the UK, Middle East, Africa, or Asia
[…] The PLAB exam (Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board) is a licensing examination conducted for foreign medical graduates who wish to practice medicine in the United Kingdom. PLAB is undertaken by the General Medical Council (UK) throughout the world. International students have to clear two parts (Part 1 and Part 2) to be eligible to practice medicine in the UK. […]