Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
RCP exams screen international students and prepare the best for serving in the healthcare sector. MRCP, MRCS, MRCOG, FRCR, and MRCPCH are popular Royal College exams for medical graduates. The GIM course trains you in toxicology, stroke management, telemedicine, dermatology, rheumatology, etc. RCP exams enable you to work as an evaluator in medical college or consultant physician in hospitals. They assess the clinical sciences and basic skills, knowledge application and critical thinking abilities and core clinical skills of the participants. Aspiring professionals can now attempt these exams at various centers in India. It involves independent assessment, MCQs and objective questionnaires. The Royal College website has details of the syllabus, requirements to take up the exam and guidelines. The candidate should familiarize themselves with the modules and spend 6-8 months preparing for the exams. TAU in association with UCN offers fellowship programs that prepare students to take up RCP exams.
Postgraduate Courses at the Royal College
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow offers a variety of prestigious postgraduate courses for MBBS doctors. International students aspire to pursue higher education at the Royal College based on its prestige and rapport in the health care sector. The challenge of traveling to the United Kingdom and scoring the desired grades for postgraduate courses limits the entry of Indian students into the Royal College exams.
Many MBBS graduates quit the idea of appearing in exams based on their financial constraints or travel difficulties. The frustration of missing the excellent opportunity disrupts the career aspirations (of many MBBS doctors).
Royal College Exams screen the international students for their accredited postgraduation courses that prepare the best candidates for serving the health care sector. The following postgraduate diplomas at the Royal College produce specialized clinicians with expertise to satisfy the challenging patient care demands.
- MRCP (Member of The Royal College of Physicians)
- MRCS (Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons)
- MRCOG (Membership of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists)
- FRCR (Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists)
- MRCPCH (Membership of the Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health)
- Fellowship courses
- GIM (General Internal Medicine) Course
- Oncology Course
- Diploma in otolaryngology
The postgraduate doctors from the Royal College gain expertise in a variety of medical specialties and subspecialties. The internal medicine course trains (novice doctors) in the following specialties/disciplines.
- Stroke management
- Infectious and communicable disease management
- Management of acute emergencies
The Royal College collaborates with its network of colleges to facilitate medical training for the MRCP exam. The staff members of the Royal College support the candidates while addressing their examination concerns online. The exam consists of two parts for evaluating the clinical examination and writing skills (of the medical graduates).
MBBS doctors with MRCP from the Royal College gain international accreditation and recognition in prestigious medical facilities. The specialty certificate examination (at the Royal College) further assesses the medical thinking, scientific knowledge, and research skills (of the participants). The compliment work-oriented/computer-based exams test the proficiency (of MBBS degree holders) in the following disciplines.
- Respiratory medicine
- Palliative medicine
- Medical oncology
- Infectious diseases
- Geriatric medicine
- Acute medicine
Why should you opt for Royal College Exams?
MRCP qualified personnel often get the opportunity to acquire the profile (of the expert evaluator in the examination departments) of prestigious medical colleges. Royal college exams also produce clinicians with the skills and expertise to promote evidence-based medical practice in hospital settings.
The novice MRCP diploma holders need to attend the new-member ceremony to validate their credentials. Royal College offers distance learning packages to facilitate the exam preparation of aspiring candidates. The online question banks support the practice of part 1 and part 2 exams for MRCP.
The Royal College exam for MCROG incorporates three distinct sections. The first section of the MRCOG exam assesses the clinical sciences and basic skills of the candidates. The second section evaluates their knowledge application and critical thinking abilities. The third section investigates the core clinical skills of the participants.
The MBBS degree holders get additional benefits after qualifying for the third phase of the Royal College’s MRCOG exam since the qualified diploma holders attain the opportunity of registering their names in the UK Specialist Register. The MRCOG qualified doctors also acquire several options (in prestigious hospitals on the profile of consultant gynecologists and obstetricians).
Prerequisites for appearing in Royal College Exams
MRCS exam helps surgical trainees to attain the membership of Royal College in Ireland and England. The MRCS aspirants need to gain clinical competence, experience, and knowledge for joining the specialty and core training programs.
Part A (of the MRCS exam) evaluates the writing skills of the participants. Part B (of the MRCS exam) objectively assesses the clinical examination skills of the trainee surgeons. MRCS examination guideline elaborates on the following subjects.
- Results and marking criteria
- Conduct and registration of candidates
- Duration/format of part B exam
- Duration/format of part A exam
- Sample questions
- Entry prerequisites
- Clinical skills and subjects requiring assessment
The FRCR exam incorporates two distinct modules. The first module assimilates the following components.
- Physics module under software prerequisites
- Anatomy module under technical (practical) prerequisites
The online invigilation system of the FRCR exam helps candidates at distant locations to satisfy the assessment requirements without physically visiting the campus. The focus (of the FRCR exam) is to examine the anatomy and diagnostic medical imaging knowledge (of the MBBS degree holders). FRCR exam enables them to evaluate, interpret, and undertake a range of radiological studies.
The MRCPCH exam caters to the following requirements that help aspiring pediatric trainees to increase their clinical practice standards.
- Mapping of the examination format based on the latest advancements in pediatrics
- Accreditation of the exam modules by General Medical Council
- Incorporation of training modules based on the clinical practice requirements
- Inclusion of the evidence-based and research-oriented content
- The examination modules comply with the UK training standards
MRCPCH includes the following components.
- Clinical block
- Theory and science block
- Applied knowledge in practice block
- Foundation of practice block
Target the Royal College Exams from India
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow collaborates with the topmost higher education institutes in India to accredit talented MBBS graduates.
The Indian MBBS degree holders now do not require travel to Malaysia, Singapore, or the United Kingdom to materialize their career ambitions. Medical Council of India recognizes medical doctors with the Royal College accreditation. The best Indian medical colleges also recognize the MRCP/MRCS/MRCOG/FRCR/MRCPCH credentials of the Indian doctors. They also prefer to hire them on the profile of the assistant professor.
The Indian institutes (collaborating with the Royal College) facilitate the clinical placements (of the specialty examination candidates) to increase their clinical experience, exposure, and practical skills. They also provide subsidies and financial support to the meritorious medical graduates to support their examination requirements.
The aspirants for the exams need to visit the examination and education section (of the Royal College) to validate their eligibility. The British Council in India also specifies the examination structure/registration prerequisites/cost details for aspiring candidates. The Indian medical graduates have the option of contacting the British Council to explore the eligibility criteria (of postgraduate fellowship courses) after MBBS. Most Royal College exams are also being conducted across India in various centers.
The Royal College collaborations in India also provide unconditional support to candidates with disabilities (to help them attend the royal college exams). They also make reasonable adjustments for such participants at no additional cost.
Royal college exams in India follow the below-mentioned assessment format.
- Independent assessment of clinical stations by the examiners
- Multiple choice questions to access the knowledge of prognosis, patient management, investigation parameters, and diagnostic management
- Objective questionnaire to evaluate the knowledgebase of medical science
The Royal College collaborations in India offer the facility of self-registration for medical graduates. The MBBS degree holders need to create their accounts online, provide their relevant details, select the exam dates, and submit the entrance fees. They also require following the below-mentioned steps to strengthen their preparation for the Royal College exams.
- MBBS degree holders must visit the Royal College website to thoroughly understand the syllabus and requirements (of their preferred examination).
- The candidates should be familiar with the examination modules and contact the authorities to clarify their queries.
- The physicians must spend at least 6–8 months preparing for the Royal College exams.
- The Royal College exam participants should manage their clinical practice schedules to extract more time for their studies.
- The candidates should access medical libraries to shortlist the recommended books and text targeting the Royal College exams’ subjects.
- Studies in groups and knowledge-based discussions are the best ways to increase the Royal College exams’ practical knowledge.
- Revisions and mock tests further help the MBBS degree holders to increase their ranking in the Royal College exams.
Texila American University, in association with the University of Nicaragua, provides fellowship programs that equip the candidates with the knowledge and skills needed to excel in the Royal College exams. Register now and upgrade your career.