Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
NEET PG Exam 2021 Deferred by NBE
A notice was released on October 31, 2020, by the National Board of Examination (NBE) stating that the NEET PG 2021 exam, scheduled for January 10, is deferred until further notice.
This deferment might serve as a good opportunity as candidates will now have a chance to reapply for the exam down the future line. With the NEET 2021 officially deferred, the window for applying for the next session of the NEET PG is fast approaching. Aspirants are still in a dilemma about the number of attempts and age limit for the session, internship, and more.
For those, the NBE site provides information on their bulletin boards. If the confusion persists, which can be due to the ill-advised fact that restrictions on the number of attempts and age limits were not widely known, let us clear the board and state the updated facts on NEET PG.
The entrance examination of NEET PG is computer-based. The exam is held all over India to award admission to the MD/MS courses available across government universities, yet-to-be-deemed medical universities, and private medical colleges in India.
Candidates can verify the qualification criteria of NEET PG in the information brochure released by the NBE authorities. In the booklet, the allocation for All India Quota 50% seats, Foreign Nationals, Foreign Medical Graduates (FMG), and standard requirements for all is listed individually.
General Overview on NEET PG
The requirements for medical graduates from India and abroad who wish to pursue their postgraduate studies must fulfill the following eligibility criteria to qualify.
One can also visit the NBE site to gather all the updated official details like eligibility criteria, guidelines, important dates, marking scheme, exam pattern, etc. However, we will do our best to cover all the details here, including the necessary conditions on education, age, qualification, certificates, and others that candidates must fulfill to be eligible for the NEET PG exam.
NEET PG Eligibility Criteria – General
- Age Limit
Unlike the NEET UG, which had many confused with it’s on and off ruling on age restrictions, there is no fixed age limit for the aspirants who wish to apply for NEET PG.
- Attempt Limit for NEET PG
The National Board of Education has no limit for aspirants to the number of NEET PG attempts. Consequently, a candidate can retake the examination as required to obtain admission to their desired course/institute.
- Minimum Qualification
To be eligible for NEET PG, a graduate must have obtained an MBBS or an equivalent degree from a Medical Council of India (MCI) recognized medical institution. The candidate should also possess the required certification and medical licenses from the relevant authorities.
Candidates must complete the compulsory rotatory internship at an approved medical university or hospital one year before the date of application. Those who haven’t completed their internship will not apply for the examination and have to wait until they have completed their apprenticeship.
- Registration Certificate
NEET PG aspirants should also possess a valid registration certificate issued either by the Medical Council of India (MCI) or by the State Medical Council. It is also important to note that a copy of the registration will be required on the exam day for admittance.
NEET PG Eligibility: For Foreign Medical Graduates (FMG)
FMG aspirants who wish to qualify for the NEET PG should be Indian Citizen or Overseas Citizen of India (OCI)
- FMGE Certification
Graduates who have completed their bachelor’s medical degree abroad and wish to pursue their master’s in India will require a Foreign Medical Graduate Examination (FMGE) certification. This certification will also be required to register with the MCI. It is important to note that candidates will also be required to bring a copy of this certificate on the exam day for admittance.
Like native candidates, FMGs must also complete their medical internship before applying for the NEET PG exam.
- Registration Certificate
Registering with the MCI/SMC is mandatory and should be the first step after passing the FMGE. Candidates will be required to submit all their certificates during registration and carry copies on exam day for admittance into the examination center.
NEET PG Eligibility Criteria for Foreign Nationals
Candidates from foreign nations can also apply for the NEET PG to study in India. However, they will have to fulfill the requirements mentioned below to be eligible.
- Though it was important for foreign nationals to be registered with the MCI, however, since 2019, it is mandatory no more for the registration of the NEET PG exam.
- The MCI will also prove temporary registration, given that they possess the eligibility to meet the NEET PG requirements and registration fee. This registration will come in handy while they pursue their internship in their chosen college or university. It is to be noted that this temporary registration will only be valid until the internship or program duration.
- The foreign nationals who wish to pursue the NEET PG will have to register with their country’s national medical registry with valid certification and possess an active medical license to register with the MCI temporarily.
NEET PG Registration Requirements
- MBBS or equivalent degree, MCI, FMGE, and foreign medical certification (as applicable)
- Valid personal photo-identity proof (PAN, Aadhar, License, Passport, or Voter ID)
- Community certificate (if applicable)
- School certifications
- Updated current photographs and signature scan (80 KB size limit)
- One-year internship certification
- Appropriate visa details (for foreign medical students)
NEET PG Exam Pattern Syllabus Coverage
- Forensic medicine
- Preventive and Social medicine
- General surgery including orthopedics, anesthesia, and radiodiagnosis
- General medicine, including dermatology and venereology, and psychiatry
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Charges for the NEET PG Exam
|General and OBC (Including FMGs and FNs)||INR 3,750|
|Exam Mode||Online (Exam Center Visit Required)|
|Time||3 Hours 30 Minutes|
|Questions||300 Questions from 15 Topics|
Check NBE’s official site for updates regarding the NEET PG exam and other updates related to the exams.