Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
MCh or Master of Chirurgiae is a derived Latin name for general surgery. This degree is the choice of medical professionals in the surgical sciences field. It involves advanced knowledge in surgery and a technical understanding of complicated procedures utilized in different areas of surgery. Generally, the MCh degree also includes high research requirements. Candidates or graduates practically train for the highly demanding surgical landscape.
Suppose you have already completed MS or MBBS in Surgery and are interested in progressing your career in this field. In that case, the MCh degree is the right choice. This article will discuss the benefits, eligibility, duration, career opportunities, structure, and offerings of the course in India.
What is MCh Degree?
MCh degree is a customized solution designed for a range of specializations. The prime focus of the Master of Chirurgiae course is developing deep technical knowledge and researching the relevant field of surgical sciences. As a result, you will have to attend seminars, assistance programs, take help from mentors, complete dissertations and research projects to receive required skills that you would use in operation theatres, ICUs, trauma care, and emergency rooms.
Let’s know a bit more about MCh in the Medical course.
MCh Course Duration
The MCH course duration depends on the location, form of education, and university guidelines. In India, you need an MS or MBBS to complete an MCh degree. After MS, the course takes up to 3 years, and after MBBS, the course can take up to 5 years. In an online MCh course in India, you can complete the degree in 2 years only.
Eligibility of MCh Course
Similar to every other course in varying fields, there are guidelines and eligibility criteria set for MCh in the medical course as well:
- Every student needs to provide the NEET-SS or National Eligibility-com-Entrance Test (Super Specialty Courses) score for admission for an offline course.
- The candidate must offer some set of documents for the exam. These include:
- MCI or SMC registration copy
- Copy of your admit card
- A valid identification; Aadhaar Card, Pan Card, Driver’s License, or Voter ID
- As an Indian candidate, you also need to register with the Medical Council of India for an MCh in Medical.
- However, foreign candidates may have different criteria according to university requirements.
It is necessary to note that while we have discussed generic eligibility criteria for an MCh degree, you must follow specific criteria given by the University.
MCh Course Specializations
Every candidate enrolling for an MCh degree has to select one specialization according to their choice. This specialization defines course work, study structure, and clinical structure. There are various popular course specializations under the degree; here are some of these:
- Cardiac anesthesiology
- Hematology and hematopathology
- Medical oncology
- Pediatric neurology
- Neuro anesthesiology
- Cardiothoracic vascular
- Pediatric surgery
Types of Courses Available Under MCh Course in India
There are multiple MCh courses after MBBS; some of these are:
- Trauma and orthopedic
- Cardiothoracic Vascular
- Plastic Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Surgical Oncology
Future Growth After MCh in Medical
What can you do once you complete your MCh degree?
After completing an MCh degree, you are qualified to take up surgical assignments in ICUs, medical care centers, emergency care, etc. Some graduates also prefer the research field to enter research and work with pharma, governmental, and other such organizations. A considerable amount of candidates from this also pursue both research and surgical practice simultaneously.
A unique career option with MCh course after MBBS is public healthcare and surgical consultancy. These professionals work with government agencies and influence policy-making to bring forward the most favorable public health-oriented policies.
Scope and Job Opportunities
Are you worried about the job opportunities after 12-15 years of hard work? Will an MCh degree truly pay off?
It is entirely okay to look for future possibilities of a degree. Fortunately, the MCh degree has many opportunities, some of which are below:
- Right after completing the degree, the candidate can apply for different fellowship programs to study further. For this, you need to create a strong portfolio and academic record, but in the end, you will get a technically sound and successful career.
- There’s always an option to pursue surgical practice abroad. You can explore nations that are offering healthcare opportunities to doctors or surgical professionals from other countries.
- As dreamt by many, professionals can start their home practice. They can open a medical center after reaching a required experience mark. But, this option requires a considerable amount of seed investment before you can start making money.
- Further, only consider opening a clinic when you have enough recognition from a large number of patients. When you don’t have some recurring and loyal patients, you may not get traction in your medical center.
- If you are interested in academia, then you can start your career as a medical professor. You may end up inspiring and teaching many, many young professionals.
- Many professionals choose to enter government jobs after an MCh degree. They pursue as surgical professionals in government units, emergency care units, etc.
It is interesting to note that completing an MCh degree is one of the most difficult tasks in the medical field. This degree expects a lot from the candidate, increasing the salary package for the professionals. In private institutes or government jobs, MCh degree holders get a preference and fantastic pay. For instance, an orthopedical surgeon can get up to INR 3,60,00,000 per annum.
Why Pursue an MCh Degree?
Every doctor who has completed the MCh degree course is considered a doctor of super-specialty.
Here are some reasons why you should pursue an MCh degree:
- A Master of Chirurgiae course makes you efficient in your planning and decision-making. You can treat patients who are suffering from or are susceptible to long-term disabilities and illnesses.
- The MCh degree nurtures the candidate to improvise their teaching skills, which helps them pass on the knowledge to other medical students or supporting staff.
- With an MCh degree, the candidate learns to innovate and progress in the field of surgery. The degree doesn’t just nurture the candidate’s knowledge but also helps them contribute to the growth of the surgery field.
- There are multiple choices for a career. You can select a field that you are interested in, such as pediatrics, urology, endocrine, cardiovascular, etc.
Mapping the Difference in MCh and MS Degrees
After MBBS, you can pursue an MS course or an MCh degree. So, to avoid confusion, let’s understand the difference between MS and MCh degrees after MBBS.
- An MS is just a postgraduate degree that any medical professional can opt for after MBBS. But, an MCh degree is a postdoctoral course that you can take up after MS or MBBS.
- If you take up an MCh course after MBBS, the course duration is around 5-6 years, but after an MS, it is about three years only. However, different universities have different norms and MCh degree duration.
The Best University for an MCh Course in India
The best university to complete an MCh degree in Texila American University. In collaboration with the University of Central Nicaragua, TAU has designed a 2-year MCh course that assists medical candidates to specialize in Trauma and Orthopedics Surgery. This course nurtures surgical expertise, offers hands-on experience, and creates qualified and skilled doctors. This specialty degree provides advanced learning, skill enhancement, and improvement in knowledge.
Additionally, the education is online, which offers the flexibility and feasibility of continuing your current job. The candidate doesn’t need to move or relocate or spend a great sum of money on education. With the benefits of TAU’s online education, you get advanced knowledge of class-based learning.
Check if you are eligible for the course:
- MBBS or MBChB or a similar degree
- An orthopedics postgraduate degree, such as MS orthopedic or equivalent qualification
Why Texila American University
- A well-structured internationally recognized course.
- Interactive sessions for practical learning
- Online resources and repository for easy access to study material
- Support from academic advisors and mentors
- Supervision throughout project work
FAQs Related to MCh Degree
Completing an MCh degree course helps the doctor to receive recognition and better career opportunities. It is a highly recognized and difficult degree that improves your worth, salary, and job position. Complete the degree from Texila American University online to learn without leaving your job flexibly. Visit our website, check out the details of the course, and Register Now.