In India, around 26 million children are born every year, taking 13% of the total population. Various child health programs have been initiated under the Nation Health Mission to ensure good health and improve the mortality rate of newborns and children under 6. The role of a pediatric doctor becomes crucial in improving child health. Wondering how to become a pediatrician in India. This article is for you!
Pediatrics is an in-demand branch of medical science that has greater scope for qualified professionals. The demand for pediatric doctors is increasing every year as it deals with medical care for children generally within 12 years. Efficient, skilled, and talented pediatricians are highly in demand in both the private and government sectors.
Why Choose the Pediatrics as Your Specialization in India?
India has an apparent demand for pediatricians, and so many medical institutions have pediatrics courses. Childbirth is an ongoing process, and the need for pediatric medical care will never halt. India has many recognized universities and medical schools that offer the best pediatric programs.
The scope is also enormous at hand as they can venture into working in the clinic, medical center, or research labs. The Indian military, railways, and other public service medical departments have openings for Pediatric doctors. The job opportunities are more for those with a pediatric specialty in India.
- High Demand for Pediatricians in India
India is among the countries which register thousands of infant deaths each year. Pediatric doctors can help in bringing down the child and infant mortality rates. Doctors with a pediatrician degree are also trained to deal with behavior-related issues in children.
Tackling general health issues, and specialized doctors treat heart attacks, kidney failure, and cancer in children are common. However, the main job is to treat everyday illnesses that commonly affect children like minor injuries, immunization shots, infectious diseases, etc. Besides, Pediatric doctors are the ones who take care of complicated medical conditions and perform pediatric surgery.
- How Much Does a Pediatric Doctor Earn in India?
In India, a pediatric doctor earns an average salary of INR 902,000 yearly. However, the years of experience will determine your salary. Usually, it ranges from 35,300 INR per month to 119,000 INR per month.
It also varies based on your location. State-wise salary raise will be like as follows:
- Pediatrician in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh gets an average of 26.1% compared with the national average.
- New Delhi, Delhi, shows 17.7% more.
- Delhi, Delhi, shows 13.5% and more.
- The lowest salaries were seen in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, with 22.3% less, and Mumbai, Maharashtra recorded 0.9% less.
- Pediatrician Career Prospects
In recent days, the pediatrician degree has developed to be one of the most promising career options in India. The importance of talented professionals has led to several job opportunities for young and aspiring doctors. After completing MBBS, the doctors can take up pediatrics to be child specialists in various government and private hospitals. They can also set up independent clinics.
Professional candidates can find lucrative jobs in India and overseas. Due to the vast number of growing hospitals and healthcare segments, the need for pediatric doctors is high. Also, aspirants can get jobs in medical colleges and training institutes as professors or research scholars.
One can also work in research centers as a practitioner. Military services and various other public sectors have vacancies in their medical departments.
- Expected Growth in the Sector
The pediatric segment is expected to grow in the upcoming years. The Indian market scenario has a handful of pediatric centers, although it has the highest percentage of 0–14 children. It accounts for almost 29% of the population in India.
There are nearly 2,000 plus beds in India, which meets about INR 1,500 Crore. At the same time, the overall pediatric market in India accounts for INR 55,000 Crore. Thus, the growth rate of the pediatric market is 14–18% per annum.
How to Become a Pediatrician in India
Wondering how to become a pediatrician in India. Here are a few steps to becoming a pediatrician in India are:
- Educational Qualification: Doctors having MBBS Degree and a PG or MD can take up specialization in pediatrics. Biological science or pre-med degree field is required.
- Residency: Following the medical degree, one has to have 3-6 years of pediatric training at a hospital. It is essential before they start their medical practice. It is essential because, during this time, they are given hands-on training for skill enhancement and dealing with patients. Residency is the most challenging portion as it involves working long hours in a medical office or clinical setting.
- Licensing and Certification: You can choose to get the Membership of the Royal College of Pediatrics and Child Health (RCPCH) by clearing the exams conducted by the Royal Colleges of the UK. Since it is recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI) and is considered equivalent to the MD.
Pediatric Doctor Requirements
Here are a few pediatric doctor requirements that you need to meet to take up a PG medical course to get specialized as a pediatric doctor:
- MBBS or equivalent qualification with permanent Medical Council registration
- Students of Indian nationality who have cleared the NEET PG exam
Best Way to Become a Pediatrician in India
In association with the University of Central Nicaragua, Texila American University (TAU) offers a fellowship with a master of medicine program with training for the exams of RCPCH. It is a great alternate option to become a pediatrician in India. It is eligible for both MBBS degree holders and students who appeared for the NEET PG exam.
This fellowship program is designed mainly for doctors to develop their existing knowledge, skillsets, and overall experience. It helps to develop mastery in the aspects of clinical and service in various specializations. The curriculum is formulated to encourage and nurture students with both theoretical and clinical elements. Some of its benefits are:
- Dual Benefit: This program offers a double benefit for doctors taking up a pediatrician career. Upon taking up the course, you will get a master’s degree certificate and extensive training for RCPCH examinations.
- Hospital-Based Program: TAU has been associated with various renowned hospitals across India where the course and the training for RCPCH will be conducted.
- Real-Time Learning and Training: Since it is a hospital-based PG medical course, you can learn the relevant medical skills in the live environment. Getting to learn in a live environment teaches more than what books can provide. This real-time learning is what TAU focuses on.
- RCPCH Training by Royal College Certified Trainers: RCPCH (UK) conducts qualifying exams to provide qualified professionals with opportunities to get specialized as pediatric doctors. While taking the PG fellowship course, TAU offers you exclusive training offered by the Royal College certified trainers.
Why the RCPCH Exam Is the Best Way to Get Specialized in Pediatrics and Child Health?
Pediatric trainees take these RCPCH exams to get the Royal College membership, as part of their training, and to demonstrate their standard of practice. Upon qualifying with this membership, you can practice as a pediatrician in the UK, India, and most Commonwealth countries.
Thus, taking up RCPCH exams are the best way to get specialized and recognized in pediatrics. RCPCH is responsible for the following:
- Courses and e-learning resources
- Campaigns to progress child health nationally and worldwide
- Research conferences, remarkably the RCPCH Annual Conference
- Archives of Disease in Childhood, a peer-reviewed pediatrics journal
- Clinical guidelines and standards
Choose TAU’s PG fellowship medical program and have a successful, long-standing career in pediatrics. It offers diverse, best-in-class education and ample guidance. The demand for pediatric doctors in India is growing. Make use of the opportunity with an advanced learning opportunity!