Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Physicians who want to become child specialists can obtain the essential qualification by clearing the MRCPH examination conducted by the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. The exam consists of one clinical and three theory exams. An advantage inherent to MRCPH is that you can attempt and clear the exam in any order that you prefer. The first step to take is registering with the General Medical Council for doctors who intend to practice in the UK.MRCPH will also allow you to practice in India as a paediatrician (child specialist) generally and you can further provide specialized service as a Paediatric Cardiologist-Specialist who treats children with heart conditions; neonatologist for the treatment of complications in newborns and infants.
You can also specialize as an endocrinology paediatrician. India is a big market for child specialists because of the huge population. Financial rewards are descent in government as well as private hospitals. MRCPCH is also accepted in many countries of the world including the UK and allowed to practice as a child specialist. Texila American University offers MRCPCH aspirants excellent trainers to see that you pass the prescribed exams and gain clinical skills for becoming a child specialist. The reason for you to join Texila is that you will receive training in some of the top hospitals in India.
- What is the MRCPCH exams?
- What is the Scope Of Becoming A Pediatrician In India?
- Examinations in Theory:
- Foundation of Practice (FOP) Study Tips
- Theory and Science (TAS) Preparation Tips
- Applied Knowledge Tips for Practice Tests:
- Clinical Exam:
- Pediatricians Have the Following Employment Opportunities:
- Becoming a pediatrician has many strengths
- Pediatricians have many liabilities
- Pay Packages for Pediatricians
- Which College Offers the Best MD In Pediatrics Program?
Every aspiring pediatrician must pass the MRCPCH exam at some point in their career. The new specialist registrar must demonstrate clinical skills to pass the MRCPCH exam. The exam aims to improve healthcare quality, teach doctors, and train them.
In addition, it provides information about child healthcare to the public. The candidate should show competency in various aspects of pediatric medicine, including history taking and rapport building. MRCPCH exams typically comprise a long case, a short case, and a viva. Despite their skewed results, traditional systems have also encountered criticism for their effectiveness. This article outlines the best resources for passing all MRCPCH exams.
What is the MRCPCH exams?
Children’s physicians earn membership in the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. To pursue an MRCPCH degree applicant must pass four postgraduate medical exams. One clinical and three theory exams make up the MRCPCH examinations:
- Foundation of Practice (FOP) – theory exam (basic child health)
- Theory and Science (TAS) – theory examination
This examination focuses on the physiological, pharmacological, and scientific principles of clinical practice.
- Applied knowledge in practice (AKP) – theory exam
The evaluation concentrates on knowledge synthesis/evaluation. Also, it assesses the clinical decision-making and management skills of pediatricians.
- MRCPCH exam – multi-station OSCE
It is possible to take theory exams in any order of preference. The MRCPCH can support complete General Medical Council (GMC) registration for overseas doctors moving to the UK. Doctors who wish to pursue a dream career would benefit from taking the MRCPCH exam.
What is the Scope Of Becoming A Pediatrician In India?
There are many subspecialists in pediatrics. You become a specialist based on your skill, talent, and abilities. After Master of Medicine, aspirants can select one of the following options.
- Pediatric Cardiologist- This specialist treats children with heart conditions. The most common heart problems are the congenital heart and abnormal heart problems.
- Neonatologists- These physicians deal with the complicated cases of newborns and infants.
- Endocrinology Pediatricians
These pediatricians treat hormonal disorders and diseases in children.
- Critical Care Pediatrician – These professionals analyze and manage critically ill newborns.
- Gastroenterology Pediatricians: Manage chronic diseases including inflammation, liver, lactose intolerance, and pancreatitis.
- Oncologists and Pediatric Hematologists
Children with cancer and blood disorders can seek the services of these specialists.
- Neonatal pediatricians care for babies whose injuries or illness have damaged their development.
Preparing for the MRCPCH Clinical Examination
If you wish to become a pediatrician, the MRCPCH may be the best choice. There are three theory exams in the MRCPCH exam,
- Foundation of Practice (FOP),
- Theory and Science (TAS),
- Applied Knowledge in Practice (AKP), and
- Clinical exam.
We have outlined top tips for studying, including exam formats and question types.
Examinations in Theory:
Foundation of Practice (FOP) Study Tips
Specifically, the FOP exam provides an assessment of basic pediatric knowledge. Also, it examines pediatric knowledge and clinical decision-making abilities in the training process. There are 80 questions on this exam, organized as follows:
- 5 out of 70 questions (each worth four marks)
- Questions about extended matching – 10 questions (each worth three marks)
Ensure that you use a variety of sources when revising and preparing for the FOP exam. Search for books, websites or ask your colleagues for help. You cannot prepare for the FOP exam by simply reading a textbook. You must recognize patterns to pass the MRCPCH exam. Practice questions repeatedly, and applying the knowledge you gain from books is the only way to learn. These exams have no negative marking. Ensure that you answer every question.
Follow these topics with extreme thoroughness:
- Killer diseases (Meningitis, cardiac defects, coarctation of the aorta, and non-accidental injury).
- Common Disorders (Down’s syndrome, turners syndrome)
- Growth and development
- Insufficient growth/non-thriving
Make sure you revise the basic science and statistics. There is no risk of missing marks when these questions appear in the MRCPCH exam. You should cover the entire syllabus instead of focusing on just a few parts and focus on your exams. You will likely pass the MRCPCH part 1 exam if you practice papers.
Theory and Science (TAS) Preparation Tips
In TAS, assess candidate understanding of scientific principles supporting clinical practice. As with the FOP, the test follows the same format:
- Five best questions – 70 questions (four marks per question)
- Additional matching questions – 10 questions (three marks per question)
MRCPCH exam is one of the hardest to pass. It requires more in-depth and complex answers because it involves a broader range of issues. As you revise for the TAS exam, be sure to focus on specific topics. It is crucial to include pathways and receptors that do not appear in clinical examinations. We recommend you revise a set amount of each of the following common themes in TAS:
- Renal disorders
- Calcium, vitamin D, and Bone metabolism
- Blood gasses and ventilator settings
- Clotting disorders
- Gut absorption
- Hematology and oncology
- Genetics in common syndromes
- Diabetes insipidus
- Hormone synthesis
- Statistical analysis
- Cardiac lesions
Applied Knowledge Tips for Practice Tests:
AKP tests clinical decision-making and management skills. It examines differential diagnosis investigations and management decisions. There are two exams in the AKP, each lasting an hour, each with questions. These exams contain a wide range of questions, such as:
- Best of five questions
- Extended matching questions
- N from many questions
The AKP exam may contain data interpretation questions, photographs, and case histories. Before starting to study, for the MRCPCH exam, print the exam syllabus and go over the topics. Identify the answer that is incorrect and eliminate two or three others. When completing the questions, print out examples of photographs, data, and case histories.
This clinical exam measures your capabilities as a junior resident. The applicant must demonstrate proficiency in
- Planning and taking notes on the history
- Relationship building with parents and children
- Physical examination
- Development of children
- Clinical judgment
- Conceptualization of actions and thoughts
- Identification of acute illness
- Conduct Professionalism
- Ethical behavior
The duration for clinical examinations and communication stations is nine minutes each. Follow these tips on the day of your examination.
- When you leave one station, don’t panic if something goes wrong. Don’t worry about it, and continue with your journey. A bad station should not ruin your entire test.
- Consult parents and the patient.
Pediatricians Have the Following Employment Opportunities:
The field of pediatrics offers several appealing and lucrative career options. Pediatricians are also known for building rewarding careers. Graduates can work in private hospitals or clinics. Entrepreneurs can work at different research centers. Here are a few of the best pediatric departments and sectors.
- Health clinics and hospitals
- Educational institutions
- Medical clinics and hospitals
- Manufacturing companies and factories
- Homes for the elderly and orphans
- Government agencies
- Training Institutes
- Public health departments and railroads
- Universities and institutions
- Factory houses and industrial houses
- Research centers and hospitals
Becoming a pediatrician has many strengths
- As a pediatrician, you will experience both emotional and intellectual fulfillment.
- Pediatrics offers a wide variety of potential interests and subspecialties.
- Pediatricians can work nearly anywhere.
Pediatricians have many liabilities
- It is necessary to work long hours, weekends, and holidays.
- Training is necessary to perform a child protection evaluation, which is a complicated process.
- Pediatricians frequently experience great stress or depression in dealing with sick patients regularly.
Pay Packages for Pediatricians
Depending on the country and the company, average salaries vary. Working for an Indian company or abroad will give you more benefits than you ever imagined. Based on the survey, the starting salary of a pediatrician is between six and 10 lakhs per year. You will earn 15 lakhs annually if you are a specialist. For overseas packages, you can earn close to $160,000 annually.
Which College Offers the Best MD In Pediatrics Program?
Texila American University
Aspirants can take TAU’s MRCPCH preparation course to help students clear the exams. Our certified trainers will train and prepare you for the MRCPCH exam. MRCPCH exam preparation supplements the online material in this training program. The 3-year MRCPCH preparation program at TAU will provide you with the clinical skills and knowledge needed to become a pediatrician. You will receive guidance from our faculty through all the steps in preparing for the MRCPCH exam.
Words of Wisdom
Pediatricians have a challenging job. Start choosing your stream in class 11, and the process does not end. Taking classes and treating patients throughout your life will teach you new things. Experience and quality of studies are essential factors for becoming a successful pediatrician. Choose an institution with a good reputation if you want to acquire quality education.