Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
Are you stuck in a filthy environment? Have you ever wanted to transform the world into a healthy ellipsoid? If you are a science student and want to study a crucial and curious stream that will swap our motherland a better place to live? Do you want to give your people health-living? Are you interested in taking up a degree in Public Health Education post-COVID? Here is all you need to know about Public Health Education.
What is Public Health Education?
The World Health Organization has defined Public Health -“the science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life, and promoting health through the organized efforts of the society.”
Public Health is a unique field of science which deals with people’s health. Unlike doctors and other medical professionals, Public Health connects with people directly as well as indirectly. The main goal of Public Health is to protect safety and upgrade the health of people. It happens through large campaigns, research, and policies.
Public Health has created a remarkable impact on the health of populations by turning people healthy and redeeming their life. This positive growth of society is due to the efforts of Public Health inventions.
The three major areas of Public Health:
What are the Different Public Health Education Programs?
Public Health Education has two categories, BA (Bachelor of Arts) and BS (Bachelor of Science). The BA degree mainly focuses on social sciences and public health related to human behaviors, social studies, biology. In contrast, BS specializes in natural science connected with math, chemistry, statistics. Public Health Education also includes:
- Bachelors in Healthcare Administration
- Bachelors in Nursing
- Bachelors in Nutrition
Some Other Public Health Education Courses:
- Epidemiology in Public Health Practice
- Biostatistics in Public Health
- Foundations of Global Health
- Statistical Analysis of Public Health
- International Women’s Health and Human Rights
- Epidemiology: The Basic Science of Public Health
- Systems Thinking in Public Health
- Essentials of Global Health
- Science in Population and Health Sciences
Public Health Education (Bachelor’s Degree)
Bachelor of Public Health is a four years degree course.
Students must have qualified in 12 level examination in a recognized University. In addition, the student must have learned science (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) stream in 10th and 12th class. A student with a 10th class certificate and a diploma (2- or 3-years course) in Allied Health Sciences is also eligible to study Bachelor’s degree in Public Health.
- Women’s Health
- Occupational Health
- Child & Adolescent Health
- Infectious & Chronic Diseases
- Health Systems Management
- Public Health Nutrition
- Disaster & Emergency Management
- Recent Developments in Public Health
- Monitoring & Evaluation in Public Health
- Public Health Project Management
Public Health Education (Master’s Degree)
Suppose you are an Undergraduate in Public Health and desire to gain more knowledge and experience and build a higher level of a healthy community. Then it’s time for you to fetch a Master’s Degree in Public Health. This course enables a student to learn Environmental Health and Global Perspectives on Health to face obstacles at the local and global levels.
Earning a Master’s Degree in Public Health (MPH) will pay the way for broad job opportunities. For example, a Public Health professional with a Master’s degree can work as a response coordinator, disease investigator, public health analyst, public health policy coordinator, and community health worker.
Master in Public Health requires a Bachelor Degree (not necessarily in Public Health) and exam scores of MCAT, LSAT, GRE). Some colleges also ask for work experience or training experience to select a candidate (health-related working surrounding).
Master in Public Health is a two years course. However, some of the courses are available for 12 months duration. This 12-months course is also known as the ‘Accelerated’ course. If students are interested in working while studying MPH, they can opt for a Part-time MPH course. But this fetches a lot of time to complete the degree, but students finish it within 2-4 years.
What Do You Learn in MPH?
- Human Biology & Public Health
- Demography & Population Sciences
- Medical & Health Statistics
- Project Planning & Management
- Research Methods in Public Health
- Communicable & Infectious Diseases
- The health of Vulnerable Populations
- Public Health Nutrition
- Environmental Health & Sustainable Development
- Health Systems Development & Management.
- Occupational, Industrial, and Urban Health
- International Health
- Health Policy, Planning & Economics Research Project
Why Do You Need a Master’s Degree in Public Health?
- Broder Job Opportunities
- Wider Knowledge
- Increased Learning Experience
- 40% Increase in Salary
- The course mainly aims to build up student’s management skills on health to improvise the potentiality, organization, and service of public health programs.
- Produces students for professional careers in various sectors, i.e., public, private, government, national and international.
- Helps in improving career, which includes research, education, and management.
Public Health Careers
What will you do with a Master’s in Public Health Education?
A Master’s degree in Public Health fetches a handful of job opportunities. However, transforming the world into a healthier place is the foremost goal of Public Health Education. Below, we have listed the career opportunities for MPH graduates and the pay scale.
- Epidemiologist – 62,900 USD/year
- Healthcare Administrator – 65,500 USD/year
- Health Informatics Specialist – 62,600 USD/year
- Public Health Project Manager – 75,400 USD/year
- Health and Safety Engineer – 76,000 USD/year
- Public Health Educator – 45,800 USD/year
- Healthcare Consultant – 76,900 USD/year
- Health officer
- Global health professional
- Disease investigator
- Public health emergency preparedness and response coordinator
- Occupational health and safety specialist
(According to collegedunia.com)
What can you do with a Bachelor of Public Health degree?
Below is a list of opportunities you can pursue with just a bachelor’s degree in the domain of public health.
- Computer and Information System Manager in Healthcare
- Emergency Management Director
- Environmental Scientist
- Health and Safety Engineer
- Medical and Health Services Manager
- Social and Community Service Manager
- Health Education Specialists
- Emergency Response Planner
- Public Health Advocate
- Disease Prevention Specialist
- Public Health Planner
What are the Benefits of Public Health Education?
Below is a list of skills you will gain with a public health degree.
- Enables to observe a Public Health program’s potentiality.
- Experience in medical policies
- Understanding the impact of medical policies on patient’s healthcare.
- Capacity to assess public health program
- Learning ethical and moral issues in public health.
- Impact of society and culture on individual wellbeing.
- Organizing a public health initiative.
- Knowing the environmental factors that affect health.
- Understanding common nutrition issues.
Reasons to Study Public Health
Each person has their own reason when it comes to choosing a field of work. The following list shows the core traits of the public health domain
- Speedy entry to the medical field
- Manage emergencies
- Adding to current education
- Worldwide influence
- Job guarantee
What are the changes in Public Health Education post-COVID?
The post-COVID situation has changed every one of us. Starting from health, education, food, and job. Most of the things are running online to promote the economy and safeguard people from poverty. But it has also thrown light on Public Health Education intensively.
As a result, the importance and the efficiency of Public Health Education have increased.
There are wider job opportunities in the Public Health field post-COVID. This also turned students’ interest to study Public Health, which was considered a unique area in the past and most wanted in the present. In addition, job vacancies will increase in the Public Health field as there is more need for Public Health professionals.
Is Public Health Education a Right Choice for You?
- If you are looking forward to stepping into a medical field without touching surgical equipment, pursue a Public Health degree.
- If you are much concerned about people’s health, then Public Health will be the right choice.
- If you want to make a disease-free world.
- If you want to build a hygienic environment, then fetch a degree in Public Health.
- If you want to create change in public health, then go for a study in public health.
Risk factors for Public Health Professionals
- Public Health professionals are more vulnerable to physical risks like noise, radiation, and lighting.
- Chemical risk factors also affect Public Health professionals as they primarily work in a chemical environment to diagonalize a patient’s disease.
- While diagonalizing people’s disease, they also get affected by biological risk factors (disease transmission from patients, droplets from patient’s respiratory).
Now that you have gained a comprehensive idea about the field of public health, weigh your options. Public health, as we have learned from this post, has a wide array of benefits.