Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
The frontline workers worldwide are fighting it out against pandemics in the current situation. Doctors, Nurses, and Public Healthcare professionals play a vital role in health emergencies. Pursuing a Bachelors in Public Health degree is gaining a lot of significance globally, and Africa is no exception.
Healthcare has given rise to a new type of frontline warriors in society. Today warriors necessarily need not have weapons of war. You can also serve the community by educating on the health care domain.
This blog post deciphers various facets of Bachelors in Public Health like Career opportunities, Diversification scope, and the Salary benefits available. Moreover, the popularity of public health undergraduate programs worldwide has triggered more interest amongst students completing ‘O’ level exams.
What are the Components of a Bachelors in Public Health Degree?
Earning a Bachelors in Public Health comes with a wide array of knowledge and skills. Here is a compiled list of the components offered:
- Enables you to explore health promotion, health laws, and ethics, epidemiology spheres
- Provides the ability to handle global, national, and aboriginal health issues
- Helps to hone an industry-relevant portfolio that you can present to future employers
- Gain knowledge from seasoned academicians with vast experience in health care
Having witnessed what components are embedded in a Bachelor’s degree in health care. Let us now focus on the career opportunities it offers for you as aspirants of this degree.
Bachelors in Public Health Careers
Obtaining a Bachelors in Public Health offers a plethora of career opportunities. Salient ones are:
- Public Health Analysts
- Environmental Health Volunteers
- Health Education and Promotion activists
- Community Health Workers
- Public Health Manager
Public Health Analysts come up with efficient health solutions and also implement and coordinate health programs.
Environmental Health Volunteers have various roles like educating the general public about environmental issues, ecological restoration, wildlife monitoring, and other voluntary activities.
Epidemiologists work in research labs or applied public health sectors. They closely associate with the governments and help in addressing public health problems.
Health Education and Promotion activists create awareness amongst the masses on health issues. They bring in behavioral changes in society through educational initiatives.
Community Health Workers primarily act as the bridge between vulnerable populations and healthcare workers. Impart culturally appropriate health education on topics like chronic disease prevention, nutrition, and physical activity.
Public Health Manager is a medical or non-medical professional trained in Public Health. They will report to the Medical Officers in charge of Primary Health Centres (PHC). They are responsible for the role out of all non-clinical activities at PHC.
So, great careers with bachelors in public health are available for you all in the Healthcare sector.
Eligibility Criteria to Pursue Bachelor’s degree in healthcare
- Higher National Diploma in Public Health from a Recognized University
- O-Level + 3-Year Diploma in the Relevant Field
- A-Level + 2-/3-Year Diploma in the Relevant Field
Pursuing Bachelor’s in Public Health Online
In the highly competitive world, earning an online degree while working in some role is gaining momentum as you, an undergraduate student will be keen to pursue dual degrees to get a competitive edge over your peers.
Texila American University (TAU) offers a reputed bachelor program in public health via online mode. These online bachelors in public health are popular amongst the student community across the globe.
The Uniqueness of TAU Bachelors in Public Health
The program is rolled out in association with the University of Central Nicaragua and possesses the following features:
- Well-structured, internationally acclaimed curriculum
- Impart proficiency as a public health professional
- The flexibility of completing the course online with ease
TAU Teaching Methodology
At TAU, the BBRRIICCSS teaching model is followed. This methodology focuses on:
- Bringing Education to Life
- Block-Based Learning
- Reflective Learning
- Research-Oriented Learning
- Interactive Learning
- Internet-based Learning
- Contextual project-oriented Learning
- Capstone Projects
- Supervised Learning
- Summative & Continuous Assessment
The Course Structure at TAU
The Bachelor public health degree online at TAU is a 2-year program with 60 credits having equal importance for theoretical, practical, and project-based subjects. The following table summarizes the crucial subjects offered.
|I||Introduction to Public Health||4|
|II||Principles of Epidemiology||4|
|III||Basics of Biostatistics||4|
|IV||Health and Disease||4|
|V||Principles of Environmental Health||4|
|VI||Public Health Informatics||4|
|VII||Basics of Social and Behavioral Health||4|
|VIII||Maternal and Child Health||4|
|IX||Nutrition and Health||4|
|X||Communicable and Non- Communicable Diseases||4|
|XI||Health Management and Policy||4|
|XII||Public Health Policy and Practice||4|
|Project Report, E- Conference||6|
Advantages of TAU BPH degree
- Build International peers network
- Broad Scope for Job opportunities
- Hone yourself as expert Public Healthcare professionals
- Interactive curriculum with block-based learning modules
- Globally recognized degree
- Plenty of opportunities to grow as an internationally renowned healthcare professional
- Cultivate most sought after skills
- Opportunity to explore muti-career paths
- Flexibility at its best through online mode of delivery
The Course Outcomes for Public Health graduates
- Demonstrate an ability to portray historical and contemporary healthcare system
- Demonstrate an ability to analyze social, economic, and political issues impacting the public healthcare sphere
- Exhibit abilities to educate the common person about the effects of infections and chronic diseases
- Showcase ability to explain epidemiological patterns and principles employed in healthcare studies
- Demonstrate skillsets needed for floating public health programs and services
- Ability to analyze legal, regulatory, and ethical issues in the sphere of public health care
- Demonstrate problem-solving skills and practical communication skills.
Bachelor’s in Public Health Salary & Job Opportunities
A plethora of career and job opportunities open up for public healthcare graduates. Here is a compiled list of different career prospects and the median salaries for such professionals. Though bachelors in public health jobs go a long way in building a career possessing a higher degree or doctorate in this domain still creates more opportunities for you.
- Biostatisticians have a broad scope in the public healthcare industry. They work in many fields, but most are employed in government, health care, or research and development. A Master’s in public health is a desired qualification, and in the US, a salary of $92,030 per year is offered for them.
- Emergency Management Director plan for handling natural calamities or emergencies. They possess skills to assess hazards and develop strategies to face disasters. Bachelor’s degree in business, emergency management, or public health is expected to pursue this career. An average salary of $74,590 per year is expected in the US.
- Environmental scientists use knowledge of natural sciences to protect the environment and human health. A Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, biology, chemistry, engineering, or public health is desirable. They can expect a salary of $71,360 per year in the US.
- Epidemiologists carry out research to identify causes of disease and injury among populations. They do extensive research, policy framing, and educational activities. Disseminating the findings to the public and policymakers is the significant role of Epidemiologists. A minimum qualification of Master’s in Public Health is required for this career. They draw a salary of $70,990 per year in the US.
- Medical and Health Services Manager supports individual physicians, or even clinics, by directing and coordinating health services. Their main motto is to improve the quality and efficiency of healthcare services. They usually work in hospitals, nursing homes, ambulatory health services, clinics, and rarely in government positions. A minimum Bachelor’s degree is expected, and most of them possess a Master’s degree. A salary of $100,980 per year is given in the US.
- Social and Community Service Managers offer social service to the public. Their services include serving various demographics like children, veterans, senior citizens, or homeless people. They also help drug addicts and mental disorder patients, and even the long-term unemployed populations. A bachelor’s degree in social work, public health, or a related field is needed to pursue this career. In the US, a pay scale of $67,150 per year is offered.
- Doctoral Degree Holders who do not wish to stop with a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Public Health can work in academics or research. Vaccines, Bioterrorism, Mental health, and Social Behavior study are prominent areas of study. In the US, they earn a salary of $79,540 per year.
For those who come with a question like “what can you do with bachelors in public health?” this blog post provides answers. If you have completed ‘O’ level education and are looking for a career in Public Health, Bachelors’ in Public Health is a good option.
Particularly for those willing to take up this course in online mode, the Texila American University online bachelor’s in public health program is promising. It offers world-class teaching based on a methodology called the BBRRIICCSS model.
The BPH degree or Bachelors in Public Health provides a wide range of career opportunities. This blog post has also highlighted various types of jobs available in public health care for such graduates. I hope you enjoyed this post and Happy Learning!!!