Do you want to get specialized in radiology? Are you wondering how to become a radiologist in India? Here is a way to find a better solution to achieve what you aspire!
What Is Radiology?
Radiology is one of those fields that revolutionized medicine for good. Radiology is also known as diagnostic imaging, which is essentially a series of different tests namely CT (Computerized Tomography) and MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scans, X-ray, Ultrasound, and PET (Positron Emission Tomography) scans that image the patient’s internal organs for doctors to diagnose them for ailments. It has become a go-to procedure for patients to identify ailments in a quick, safe, cheap, and efficient manner.
Role of a Radiologist
Radiologists are doctors who involve in the field of medical imaging. They are specially trained to identify anomalies in the human body and prepare detailed reports on it. They are in charge of producing and interpreting medical test images to assist in the treatment and diagnosis of patients. Radiologists offer image-based observations and do not usually handle the general medical and therapy needs of patients.
The role of a radiologist generally limited to the utilization of the tools at her/his disposal to diagnose a patient. Then, they process the results with their observations to the patient’s specialist or physician so that an informed decision is made on the patient’s issue.
Why Is Radiology Important?
Radiology is a crucial element of diagnosis and has become an integral part of modern medicine. Conditions such as appendicitis, brain tumor, lymphoma, kidney and bladder stones, stroke, and cancer can be quickly and efficiently identified and even treated without surgery.
Primary diagnosis can prevent patients from deadly diseases and abnormalities that may affect their lives; thus, it saves millions of lives. Without proper diagnosis testing methods offered by Radiologists, treatments will become extremely challenging.
A thorough diagnosis would be required for doctors to operate the patient just to identify the core issue. Without the help of radiologists, doctors in the modern era would be burdened by complexity and would not be able to treat patients efficiently without a proper diagnostic imaging procedure. Many diseases require screening test results for doctors and emergency care physicians to ascertain the diagnosis and to chart the course of treatment. This process saves time and unnecessary complications for the patients.
Radiologists specialize in interpreting these results of imaging exams. They provide reports based on the findings of the test for doctors. Specialists and family physicians turn to radiologists for a consultation about the status of the patient, analyze the result, and recommend treatment options.
How to Become a Radiologist in India
Radiology is the most sought-after specialty in the medical industry for its high demand and scope. Radiologists are fully licensed medical doctors. Explore the below list to know how to become a Radiologist in India:
- You must undergo 7 years of formal medical education at a minimum. It starts with a bachelor’s in radiology degree focused on biology and physics, like an MBBS or a premedical degree, and continues with a master’s in radiology degree.
- Besides, there are diploma or fellowship programs available to get specialized with radiology courses after MBBS. Unlike other specialties, radiology courses in India are crucial to the foundation of the radiology student’s skills as it offers real-time experience and the expertise they need to excel in your profession as a radiologist.
- Upon completion, you also have the choice of pursuing a sub-specialization known as interventional radiology that would allow them to perform several minimally invasive procedures in the human body by utilizing medical imaging guidance.
- Besides, you can also take up Fellow of the Royal College of Radiologists (FRCR), which is an exam conducted by the Royal College of Radiologists. FRCR would be the direct answer for your question of how to become a radiologist in India. It helps you get specialized in radiology. Upon passing all the three exams of FRCR, one of the best radiologist qualifications, you will become eligible for radiology careers in the UK, India, and most European countries.
Above are a few radiologist qualifications. Now, you must get an overview of how to become a radiologist in India. After your MBBS, taking up radiology careers would be a brilliant choice for a lucrative and successful career in the medical industry.
The Outlook of a Radiologist in India
Radiology has been a fast-growing field. The demand for professional and educated radiology technologists in clinics, hospitals, and physicians’ offices are at an all-time high.
The area of radiology will continue to show higher than average job opportunities in the future due to the rise in new hospital chains and a strong middle-class economy who are looking for better quality healthcare.
The US Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the job growth of Radiologists will be at 9% from 2018–2028, which is commendable.
The average radiologist salary in India is estimated to be around ₹1,24,500. However, this value may vary depending upon the experience, background, and specialty of the candidate, employer, and locality of the job.
Career Options for Radiologists in India
Candidates can choose from a wide variety of career options upon completing their radiology program. Here are some of the radiology careers one can pursue.
- Radiologist (MD)
- Radiology Technologists/Radiographer
- MRI Technician
- Radiology Technicians
- CAT Scan Technologist/CT Scan Technologist
- Ultrasound Technician/Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
Best Radiology Courses in India
Texila American University (TAU) is a renowned medical university. In association with the University of Central Nicaragua (UCN), TAU offers a Fellowship with Master of Medicine with exclusive training for FRCR examination preparation. It is one of the best radiology courses after MBBS in India.
Being envisioned to provide quality medical education to the aspirants, TAU has brought the PG fellowship program that covers both clinical and theoretical aspects of the specialty. Besides, the student will also be trained to take up the Royal College exam that is an in-built training program. Students will also acquire unique skills, training, and gain extensive experience in their specialty, which will aid their medical career.
Teaching Methodology of TAU
- Real-time learning in hospitals
- Rotation in different departments
- Direct guidance from department HOD
- Supervised training by Royal College certified consultants
- Membership access from Royal College, UK
- Extensive clinical and practical training at leading hospitals in the country
Why Should You Choose TAU?
Here are a few reasons why you should choose TAU for your Fellowship in Radiology:
- TAU follows a world-class curriculum.
- Students can work in hospitals across India to gain essential clinical skills.
- Students can have faculty-student interactions and viva-based assessment with support from highly qualified faculty.
- Students can access state-of-the-art online repository of data for reference.
- TAU provides a chance for students to get training for Royal College exams.
- Every student should turn in an “Article Review” on the latest research as part of the curriculum. Selected article reviews are published in university journals.
- TAU offers work-integrated learning opportunities.
- TAU offers supervised study and work-specific projects within the particular context of your area of interest.
- After successful completion of the academics, the students will be awarded the Fellowship with Master of Medicine from UCN.
Have you got a better understanding of how to become a radiologist in India? Choose the best and easiest option of your choice and become a successful radiologist in India. All the best!