Tired of Reading? Please listen to the blog
A master’s degree in social work (MSW degree) is a specialization course. It focuses on macro, micro, and meso aspects of social work processes.
In general, the MSW degree requires two years of education and two years of internship. Today, online courses are becoming a standard tool for learning. Some choose to move to MSW after a bachelor’s social work or after an undergraduate degree in any related field.
There are numerous best schools for a master’s in social work. However, you should know the importance of the degree and its impact on society.
Why Does Our Society Need Social Workers?
The primary mission of anyone with an MSW degree is enhancing the standard of human life and well-being. This career gives more importance to communities or individuals who are oppressed, in poverty, vulnerable, or unheard. Many people consider this career line as a way to promote social change and justice.
Here are some of the major reasons why social workers are essential in today’s society:
- 15% of citizens are under poverty, and they need the help of social workers to cope with the challenges like unemployment, homelessness, poor health, and others.
- 20% of Americans require medical assistance for mental conditions. If you wish to serve them with adequate medical support, an MSW degree is essential.
- In 2010, the department for health and human services received 2 million complaints of child neglect or abuse. In this field, an officer with a postgraduate degree in social work is essential to reduce this number in the future.
- Every year, hundreds of individuals get prison sentences for the first time. Crime prevention is not for the police force alone. With a postgraduate degree in social work, you can make an immense difference too by promoting constructive reformation, community services, and others.
Sectors That Involve Social Work
An MSW degree is not just a single course. You can develop a specific set of skills based on your bachelor’s degree or work experience and choose to offer your services to a specific set of individuals. Top sectors of social work in modern society are:
- Administration and management – choose this sector after a master’s in social work distance learning to work in both private and public agencies who offer social services.
- Advocacy – This sector deals with finding justice for socially wronged individuals. You can help to reduce inequality in society.
- Aging – This sector links with social services related to improving the quality of life and economic aspects of older adults.
- Child welfare – You will be working on protecting children against abuse, neglect, and others.
- Developmental disability – Your scope covers individuals with physical and learning disabilities.
- Healthcare – This sector helps you to work directly with healthcare providers to offer high-quality essential health benefits to individuals in need.
- International social work – Your work will involve refugee camps, hospitals, orphanages, schools, and others, covering intergovernmental agencies and national agencies.
- Justice and corrections – Your master’s in social work distance learning will help you work with correctional facilities, police departments, and others to deal with individuals who need reformations.
- Substance abuse social work – This sector deals with the care and support of individuals with drugs, tobacco, alcohol, and other addictions. You will deal with counseling community development, housing needs, therapy, and others.
- Employee Assistance Program – Your job covers improving the working environment of employees and the creation of unions.
- Policies – You will help in creating, analyzing, and implementing the policies related to social work under different agencies of the government.
- Politics – Some prefer to work under any of the fields mentioned above and cumulate their work experience into running for the senate or house of representatives.
- Research – Your research will revolve around creating better frameworks for social work practices.
- School social work – This line of work will revolve around schools, educational centers, and other agencies to help emotionally disturbed children.
Top Careers with an MSW Degree
It is possible to find numerous private organizations looking for students from the best schools for a master’s in social work. However, if you wish to give back to society, MSW is a grand tool to hold. Here are some of the top-rated careers to choose as your primary line of work.
- Case Managers
Under this career line, you can offer recovery plans, advice, and other services to people in need. The case manager positions are available in numerous sectors of state and federal governments.
- Patient Care Coordinators
This line of career allows you to work with people who need medical facilities. You will collaborate with staff members and the administration of medical institutes to assist the process. Some registered nurses choose to complete a master’s in social work distance learning to apply for this position. However, it is not a requisition.
- Community Health Worker
In this line of career, you will be the liaison between health service providers and the community. You will improve the quality of and access to healthcare services.
- Mental Healthcare Counselors
Students from the best schools for a master’s in social work choose this line of work. Under this career, you will be supporting high-quality psychological care to those who are dealing with mental problems, substance abuse, abusive relationships, and others.
Some MSW degree holders take up a specific line of work in this career like substance abuse counselor, physical abuse counselor, and others.
- School Social Worker
Do you like to make a difference in the lives of children? You can become a school social worker with your degree from the best schools for a master’s in social work. You will support kids with educational problems, learning disabilities, physical disabilities, and others.
Benefits of a Professional MSW Degree
Everybody can commit themselves to social work. However, the importance of a postgraduate degree in social work is essential, and here are the top reasons.
- With the master’s in social work distance learning, you can move on to a specific line of social work rather than a holistic social service. With a specific career line, you can focus on individuals who need the uttermost care.
- Only a professional degree from a reputed organization like Texila American University who provide an MSW degree in association with the Central University of Nicaragua (UCN) can help you provide the technical and real-time experience to take up clinical work.
- A social worker without MSW certification will have lesser control or influence on the agencies and the policy-makers than a worker with a degree via online platforms from reputed universities.
- BRICS methodology allows you to gain more skills during your master’s in social work distance learning course. This skill set will let you take up more complex problems than your coworkers.
- A professional course will provide you ample amount of exposure to grey areas that a work experience might take decades to provide. This exposure will help you create a better practice of social work.
- With an affordable, online master’s in social work, you can become a better server to society.
- You can be a step ahead of your competitors and fellow workers for better positions.
- Social work degrees are not for those looking for social service. You can also create a lucrative career while helping the community. With a postgraduate degree in social work from a reputed institute, your pay will improve.
If you are looking for taking up MSW courses in addition to your current work or studies, it is not viable to choose a full-time course. With the help of an affordable, online master’s in social work course, you can gain the same technical and real-time experience with a favorable work and life balance.
Moreover, you can help you connect with experts in the field and gain access to valuable e-resources and holistic experience. Such an education is critical in today’s society, where the hardship and demands of this field of work are increasing.
There is also a shortage of supply of efficient social workers. Thus, the available candidates should be able to offer a superlative service with limited resources. You need a stronger educational backdrop to do so.
Take up a master’s in social work and start a more definite career line in social work. Your society needs you!