Library science is a field of technological and research-oriented study that utilizes academic and research science. It mainly focuses on educational, management, statistics, and digital technologies related to libraries. Responsibilities include collect, protect, manage data, and historical facts. The stream offers indispensable knowledge and provides a broader skillset to librarians. So, let’s look into why librarians should pursue a PhD in library science.
Tenured librarians who have served in community libraries, educational centers, government offices, and other research departments can choose to pursue this field in the library science course. Over time, librarians are now taking up roles assisting researchers in collecting data from various sources from books, research papers, journals, and online sources.
With a doctorate in library science, librarians can obtain a specialized degree in data curation, information technologies, and librarianship. Once you receive the highest-level degree in library science, your work area isn’t limited to its physical space. Now, you can become an analyst, archivist, researcher, or anything related to information processing or even pursue a career in education. Overall, by getting a PhD in library science, you can upgrade your career and earn a competitive income.
Current Trends in Library Science
Libraries are the most vital components of research and education, and no community can progress without it. However, with the wave of Information and communications technology (ICT) or digital transformation, the library’s traditional environment has changed dramatically. Web-based libraries are shifting library science from print to digital platforms. Due to this change, the resources, services, and roles of libraries have also transformed.
Nowadays, every institution is competing over international rankings to expand its reach. In this dynamic climate, library science, which plays a significant role in education, is forced to transform numerous new technologies that are reshaping library science such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, the internet of things, digital interfaces, augmented reality, user-focused applications, etc.
How Digital and Web-Based Services Advanced the Library Science Scene?
With the digital and web-based services, the way information is collected, processed, stored, and distributed has been thoroughly transformed. Nowadays, information seekers don’t have to restrict themselves to print services such as cataloging, development, circulation. Information can be accessed from computer software, hardware, telecommunication, and videoconferencing.
Users are getting a better learning environment through the digital age academic libraries via metadata, virtual references teaching literacy. That’s why library science curriculum creators are focusing not only on the syllabus but also on the right digital skills that help students improve library science quality.
How Are Library Sciences Impacting and Innovating the Academic Sector?
With the intervention of technology into the library science, the educational sector faced a new version of library science 2.0 that has opened doors of innovation. The academic sector has evolved a lot with the digital transformation in library science such as:
- New Career Paths – Now, library science isn’t only restricted to community libraries or educational institutions. The reach of library science has touched the pinnacle with technological advancement. By pursuing a library science course, you can try new and innovative career paths such as digital librarianship, information systems, and much more.
- Advanced Study Programs – The internet growth has brought a shift in library science study programs. Nowadays, a PhD in library science is acquired by students to sharpen their information gathering and analysis skills. The area of academic learning has expanded a lot with advanced library science courses.
- Growth in Other IT Fields – Overall, information technology-related fields have evolved a lot with the impact of library science on the academic sector. Today, if you possess an advanced degree in library science, you can explore career opportunities in other fields, including market research and computer system management.
Importance of PhD in Library Science
Higher education is the best way to progress in your career. By getting a PhD in library science, you can boost your career dramatically. If you are planning to enroll in a library science course to obtain a PhD, you can gain two primary benefits:
- Open Door for a New Opportunity – If you don’t want to restrict your career to the community or education institution libraries, you should earn an advanced degree in library science. With the doctorate in library science, you can open up doors for the numerous new career opportunities ahead of you. PhD degree holders can become researchers, analysts, archivists, etc.
- Improved Pay Rates – With a PhD degree, you can improve your monthly pay rate also. You can look for job opportunities in the private and corporate sectors where salary rates are quite good. The median salary of a highly qualified librarian as an archivist in South Africa is R191,618, academic librarian R168,500, information systems manager R544,821, and so on.
Career Prospects for PhD in Library Science Graduates
There are a plethora of career options available for the PhD in library science graduates, but the most common career paths are:
- Library Director – A person possessing a doctorate in library science can step into the library director’s shoes and handle administrative work for a library. Directors have to maintain various computer databases in the libraries.
- Technology Manager – The technology manager has the responsibility to promote technology and train students to adopt library science technologies.
- Library Archivist – It is a private role that revolves around the maintenance and preservation of print, audio, online, and other organization’s documents.
- Teacher/Tutor – Ph.D. holders can also choose to work in colleges and universities at senior designations.
Other Professions – Once you have obtained the highest degree in library science, you have multiple other career opportunities such as professors, marketing professionals, operational managers, academic researchers, and various other fields.
Texila American University’s PhD in Library Science Degree Online
A doctorate in library science can indeed open the doors for various high paid career opportunities for you. Thus, the Texila American University has partnered with the University of Central Nicaragua (UCN) and developed an online library science degree program for students. Whether you are a working professional or a researcher, you can obtain a well-structured PhD in library science degree from TAU and grow your career exponentially.
Now, you don’t have to put your career on hold to get a doctorate in library science as you can avail professionally designed and structured online library science degree program, with the help of TAU’s flexible PhD in library science program without disturbing your life. For better career opportunities, you only have to open your laptop, and you can start learning from anywhere with the TAU study program.
Benefits of TAU’s Online PhD in Library Science Course
By participating in the TAU PhD in library science course, you can gain numerous benefits, including:
- You can learn from the advanced curriculum designed according to international standards.
- Highly technical training is provided to the students to gain proficiency in recording and documentation skills.
- The latest and effective teaching methods and tools are used, such as the BRICS model, forum discussions, research projects.
- A wide range of online resources is provided to the students, including e-journals, thesis, and blogs.
- Qualified faculty members from across the globe
In this, if you earn a PhD in library science, you can get better opportunities in the field. Enroll in an online library science degree program at TAU and have a fruitful career in library science!